Friday, August 24, 2012

Karaoke Culture


By: Lee Candelario

I am always fearful going to a Filipino function. Not because of the noise, the crowds, the food or the speeches. It is the fear of karaoke.

I am not a singer. But it doesn’t really seem to matter anyway. I admire the Filipino spirit: the ability to sing your heart out in front of a crowd, who may or may not be listening.

It seems that karaoke is acceptable in any setting in the Philippines. Of course, in bars and restaurants, karaoke is the norm. But when I heard people belting out their favourite tunes in the middle of a department store, I was really surprised. What shocked me more was the fact that the shoppers, oblivious to the performance, went on with their shopping without a second glance. I tried to imagine that here in Australia and envisioned a totally different scenario.

I imagine myself, in the middle of JB Hi Fi, picking up the microphone and launching myself into an out of tune rendition of Islands in the Stream. My vision continues with shoppers stopping, staring, then moving as far away from the performance as possible. In fact, some even leave the store, which forces the staff to take the microphone from me and eject me due to loss of sales.

My next vision is different. I am in SM, North Edsa. I casually pick up the microphone and start to sing Pare Ko. There are a few shoppers around, but no one really takes much notice at first. Then there is clapping and cheering for the ‘Americana’ singing in Tagalog. My fellow shoppers join in.  I am not removed from the store, on the contrary, I am asked to come back on a regular basis to entertain the shoppers and boost sales.

Why are my visions so different? Because Filipinos love their karaoke. They accept anyone, whether they can hold a tune or not. Performance is in the blood. It is an integral part of life in the Philippines.

Imagine Australian parliament with karaoke. Question time would be so much more interesting in song. Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott sing a duet they then agree on policy and eat pancit and adobo!

For now I guess I will just be happy to listen to others sing. An authentic Filipino karaoke machine is on the shopping list for our next Philippine trip. Look out, neighbours, you may be awaken to Islands in the Stream one Sunday morning. It’s better than being woken up by a lawn mower, isn’t it?






Magluto Tayo !

TURON
(Banana Fritters)
 By : Malu Barroga



Turon is an all time favourite delicious snack or dessert in the Philippines.  The tagalog word turon comes from the Spanish turron, a nougat confection that’s a traditional dessert at Christmas. It consists of a plantain banana (saging na saba)  wrapped like a spring roll and is deep fried.  Jack fruit sliver is also added over the banana to add more taste and texture.  Plantain bananas are hard to find outside the Philippines, however, other types of bananas can be used.

This Filipino recipe is a common vendor food found on just about any streets in the Philippines.


Ingredients: 
10 medium size semi ripe table banana, cut in half   lengthwise
11 cup sliced jackfruit ( langka )
12 spring roll wrappers
1/2  cup raw sugar
1    beaten egg (optional) or water to seal wrapper
      Vegetable oil for deep frying



¨ Place banana on spring roll wrapper.
¨ Spread 1 tsp. raw sugar and put enough slices of
       jackfruit on top of the banana.
¨ Roll and seal the edge of the wrapper with beaten
       egg or water
¨ Deep fry until golden brown or crispy; drain oil well      
       onto paper towel
¨ Best served when hot



No comments: